Mural
In a tall rectangular, two-part frame by Johann Christoph Friedrich Bergau as a half-length portrait. Accompanied by the Latin dedication text: "IOANNI.CHRISTOPHERO.FRIDERICO.BERGAV./QVEM.ALVMNVM.OLIM.SVVM.SINV.NVTRCIO.RECEPERAT./NVNC.PATRONVM.OB. EGREGGIA.BENEFICIA.IN.SECOLLATA./PIE.COLIT/SCHOLA. GVBENSIS./HAC.ORIS.NVNQVAM.OBLIVISCENDI.EFFIGIE/ GRATVM.ANIMVM.PROBARE.VOLVIT".
Inscription on the reverse: “O. Göhler Lübben 1788.”
Bergau had bequeathed a large amount of wood (oak) from his estate to the Guben Gymnasium, for which his former school expressed its gratitude with this portrait of the benefactor.
Foto: Erwin Schreyer (1943)
Hugo Jentsch, Geschichte des Gymnasiums zu Guben. 1. Teil: Bis zum Jahre 1708. Jahrbuch des Gymnasiums und der Realschule zu Guben 1906/07, 39 Anm. 4.
Max Kutter, Führer durch das Stadtmuseum zu Guben, Guben 1914. Wiederabdruck in: Gubener Humanisten H. 15, 1975, 5-20 [hier: 13 f.].
Museumsverband des Landes Brandenburg e. V. (Hrsg. (2023). Verlustsache: Märkische Sammlungen. Die Brandenburger Museumslandschaften in Krieg und Nachkriegszeit. Museumsblätter. 42 (1), 50-51.
Stadt- und Industriemuseum
Gasstraße 5
03172 Guben
Germany