Boys' bicycle
Low men's bicycle, so-called "boy's bicycle", frame number 250 262 with black frame paint. The tyres are made by Continental, the leather saddle is light brown with a branded stamp, there is a bell on the handlebars and a rear light. The logo of the Starkenburg company adorns the steering head plate. Ludwig Bauer & Co. (initials LBC inscribed in Star of David, below the Hessian coat of arms with lions to the left and red-yellow stripes). The bicycle is completely wrapped in the original Stuttgarter Tagblatt of 17.08.1936 and restored and conserved in this form.
According to the steering head plate, the bicycle comes from the production of the Starkenburg company. Ludwig Bauer & Co. After production, the bicycle presumably ended up in Stuttgart, as suggested by the daily newspaper in which the bicycle was wrapped. No clear statement can be made about the owners. In 2007, the bicycle was brought to an antique shop in Neuss by an unknown elderly gentleman. The gentleman told of his childhood friend who had left him the bicycle for safekeeping and wanted to collect it again after his return. Since the announced return did not take place for decades, the gentleman parted with the bicycle in Neuss and only noted that his friend's father had been a pharmacist. However, this information is not certain. Thereupon, the so-called "boy's bicycle" was handed over to the then sponsoring society of a future Jewish museum in Cologne, today MiQua-Freunde. The careful packaging of the bicycle, the year of the daily newspaper and the circumstances of the handover described by the unknown donor allow the theory of a persecution-related connection. The original owner or his descendants from the years 1935/36, the circumstances of the handover or, for further information, the generous donor from 2007 are to be determined.
MiQua-Freunde
Fördergesellschaft LVR-Jüdisches Museum im Archäologischen Quartier Köln e. V.
c/o Wilfried Hommen, Geschäftsführung
Blumenthalstr. 19, 50670 Köln
50670 Köln
Germany