Presumably in 1942 the tax office of Mainz transferred it to the copperplate engraving collection of the Painting Gallery of the City of Mainz. (The dating of the transfer is not completely secured, as it is only handed down by a typewritten list, which was compiled in 1943 and dated back to 1942 in handwriting). There are no indications of pre-provenance.